|Not a member yet? Register
for full benefits!
A Selection Of The Dark Uses For SimStim
SimStim is the as yet still mostly theoretical concept of recording
full sensory input from one person's brain - sight, sound, smell, taste, touch,
prioproception, balance, together with the possibility of their real-time
emotional responses. Such a recording to be stored, and later played back
into a second person's brain, delivering the sense data to them as if it were
Such a system, of complete sensory passive virtual reality has
been a potential goal of many research efforts for some decades now, and piece
by piece, it is slowly becoming more feasible as a concept.
As with any technology tool of humankind. When it arrives, it
will both be used for the common good, and abused / debased for individual
greed and corruption.
This article attempts to outline a fair idea of the darker uses
SimStim will be put to, once it is mature enough to be utilised.
Corrupt Law Enforcement
- Corrupt law enforcement officials seeking a confession where none is
forthcoming could hurry things a bit by subjecting the suspect to recordings
of another person's sensory experiences as they were beaten, whipped,
set alight, or a whole smorgasbord of other tortures. This would leave
the suspect with a memory feeling utterly vivid and real, but not a mark
on their body to show for it, in terms of bringing prosectution against
the officers concerned.
- If the suspect is the wrong one, but for whatever reason, it is politically
expident to convict them, it would be possible to falsely implant the
memory of a heinous act, then using the torture above, to extract a confession
for that crime, realistic enough to be seen as not scripted since it came
from a 'memory'.
- Waterboarding is a method of torture that is very effective, but utterly
illegal and immoral to all who have signed the geneva convention. Using
a recording of another prisoner's near fatal experiences with such, and
the emotional responses they had, it would be perfectly possible to give
that person the same experience, and the memories of that experience afterwards,
dragged out as long as necessary with no physical evidence that could
directly link conclusivelty to such a recording being used. The prisoner
would experience the same psychological response as the recording generated,
and and psychological damage would be just as real, but no physical signs
- Sensory depravation torture without requiring the actual sensory depravation
- Psychological warfare by means of putting subjects through a sensory
experience designed to unhinge them, or loosen their grip on reality.
- Implantation of memories of drug addiction/withdrawal without actually
making the subject physically dependent on a drug - just mentally dependent.
- Repeated mental conditioning and exposure to violent combat recordings
designed to dehumanise own soldiers.
- Implantation of false memories to muddy the truth in disputed incidents.
- Seeding quiet propaganda via adding data to networked or internet linked
- Attempted personality massaging through repeatted exposure to 'mandatory
- Picture the scene where bored with just the 'normal' way of doing things,
a rapist records their vivctim's senses and emotional responses during
the rape itself, building up a collection of what they consider to be
the best of such, then plays them back over the senses of their victim,
subjecting them not only to the trauma of their own rape, butr to those
of other women as well.
The sexual abuse you remember in crystal clarity, no longer is necessarilly
- Possibly even worse than the above. Yuo are raped, and the rapist records
his own senses and emotional state throughout the whole procedure. Then,
at the end, forces you to relive the whole experience from their perspective,
reliving through your own sexual degredation from their perspective and
feeling the emotions that person felt in doing such to you, and presumably
- Terrorist training by experience - one succeeds, survives, and shares
the experience, directly, with others.
- A whole plethora of new abuses directed against vulnerable individuals,
by recording abuse against them, or against someone else, and replaying
it over and over, and over again.
- Psychotics recording how they feel, and spreading it for others to experience.
- The ultimate drug high - experience the sensation of someone else's
drug high, and play it back again and again and again - the recording
becomes itself, a new drug, one that can be used again and again until
the subject's brain itself gives out.
- Deliberate corruption of a sensory stream would have unpredictable consequences
for the human central nervous system.
- Seisure recordings, recordings taken during a stroke, and time of death
recordings might actually induce brain damage, or the mimicry of
brain damage in the viewer. At best, they would fool the brain's internal
systems into thinking it was undergoing damage. Coma would not be unfeasable
as a response.
- Subtle corporate brainwashing to think certain ways upon employees,
via exposing them to pre-edited SimStim recordings designed to invoke
certain feelings upon seeingthe company logo, or other cues. Conditioning,
- Advert streams overlaid on SimStim recordings - editing the sensory
stream, in order to try and push products onto people without their realisation.
The ultimate form of advertising.
- Attempts to patent or copyright certain types of natural sensory experience
- Telecoms firms alter data transmission now, on occasion. Imaginee the
fun of telecoms firms altering SimStim transmissions sent over their carrier
waves, or replacing them, for the firms' own benefit. Subliminal messaging
at its best.
- Deliberate bandwidth throttling of SimStim recording transfer, resulting
in distorted sensations or even painful sensory input.
- Intimate relations with another person, recorded on the sly, could be
shared, used for blackmail, or financial gain.
- Falsified recordings made using stand-ins, or remastered would create
situations where scandals could emerge based on a person's actions, witnessed
by a third party. Of course, in fact, those actions never actually occured.
Gutter press reaching new heights.
- Third-Party sexual harassment, when a colleague uses recordings of your
sensory input accessible to them for business purposes, for entirely personal